Saturday, January 21, 2006

Savannah, May 2002

In May of 2002, Clint and I went to Savannah. Our first road trip since NYC on New Year's. I'd never been there, and he assured me that I'd love it.

Savannah is a city of vast contrast, even more so than most cities. There is the Savannah that you see in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and there is the Savannah of the projects, of the decrepit, falling-in houses that ring the center city. While that contrast exists in every city, and really in every place I've ever been, it is even more glaring in Savannah, where the old graceful willow trees and Spanish Moss only accentuate the peeling paint and sagging roofs.

But I did manage to capture some of the beauty in the city.



Bonaventure Cemetary - Savannah. The "Birdbath Girl" from Midnight was here originally. She's now on display in the historical museum in Savannah, partially to prevent her from being stolen. Probably the most amazing cemetary I've ever seen.

The Mercer House. When I took this, it was still privately owned. I can't imagine living in a house that was used in a movie.
One of Savannah's famous squares.


The Tybee Island lighthouse. Tybee is a small coastal island off across the bay from Savannah. South of Hilton Head, it's one of the last undiscovered islands in that chain. Definitely not for those who demand four star hotels or fine dining.

Just in case we forgot we were in red-state territory. To this day I don't quite understand this sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home